why is my symlink gone????

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Sun Jan 8 22:32:52 CET 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 4:09 PM, glen wrote:

> On 01/08/2012 10:36 PM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>>
>> *From: *Jeffrey Johnson <n3npq at me.com <mailto:n3npq at me.com>>
>> *Subject: **Re: why is my symlink gone????*
>> *Date: *January 8, 2012 3:35:57 PM EST
>> *To: *"PLD: Developers list (English)" <pld-devel-en at lists.pld-linux.org <mailto:pld-devel-en at lists.pld-linux.org>>
>>

>> On Jan 8, 2012, at 3:25 PM, glen wrote:
>>
>>> a symlink, in .spec, nothing special in it, %config or plain listing,
>>> visible in rpm -qpl, but not placed to filesystem. dumps below.
>>>
>>> wtf is happening!?
>>
>> Adding -vv --fsmdebug will display every sys call undertaken
>> while installing/erasing a package.
>>
>> If you do not see the symlink path being removed with --fsmdebug,
>> then rpm did not do the removal. Period. Fullstop.
>
> it's rather that rpm did not add it,
> on fresh install, neither on further upgrades or reinstalls
>
> links were not visible in rpm2cpio dump as well, not sure if that matters (log in bottom of first email)

OK. If the symlink isn't in the *.rpm pkg, then its easy to understand why the
symlink wasn't installed.

Note that -vv --fsmdebug SHOULD work with rpm build, just the operations putting
a file into a payload will be different than extracting from a payload.

(but the issue is gonna be something screwy in the *.spec: just a guess)

hth

73 de Jeff