Cluster stuff (cman, dlm, heartbeat, corosync, openais, pacemaker, drbd, lvm)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Mon Jul 2 13:41:58 CEST 2012

2012/7/1 Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net>:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:47:19PM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>> On 07/01/2012 11:51 AM, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>> > Do we need clvmd in the main lvm2 package? It pulls some dependencies
>> > irrelevant for non-clustered setups.
>> i'm in for moving clustered deps to subpackages. if it's doable.
>
> Already done. Theoretically this could break a cluster on upgrade, but
> I don't think it would be a mass problem among PLD users ;) And
> production clusters are not a thing one upgrades without testing.

I have a cluster setup but nobody is going to die if it breaks on an upgrade ;)

While I think in a case like this it is probably more important that
we have current working packages than that we don't break old ones, I
do think this kind of talk happening on the forum highlights the need
for some sort of warning channel: If some package upgrade is EXPECTED
to break current configurations, poldek should warn and even expect
acknowledgement before proceeding with that package.

Has the possibility of manually adding some sort of warning flag
between certain upgrades been considered?

Ideally all upgrades would just work, but with the number of
developers and amount of testing we have right now, that is simply not
practical. Sometimes we do things that we know will require
intervention to work. We need a fool proof way to warn folks before
their systems break.

Thoughts about where this functionality should be introduced?

Caleb