packages: java-sun/java-sun.spec - up to 1.6.0.33, sources uploaded via dis...

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Tue Jul 3 08:25:13 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 11:38:25PM +0200, Paweł Gołaszewski wrote:
> Proposal:
> leave java-sun as 1.6.x line and make brand new package as oracle-java (or
> java-oracle).

I don't like this – this would suggest one comes from Sun, the other
from Oracle, while both are from Oracle now and both were developed
mainly by Sun.

> Rationale:
> there is a lot of places where java 1.6 is still required. And many where
> 1.7 has to be used... These must live together, at least on ftp.

Yes, that is a reason to keep 1.6 and 1.7 in different packages. As it
is often called "Java 6" an "Java 7", then maybe we should package it
as 'oracle-java6' and 'oracle-java7'?

BTW. we should probably package IcedTea 7 too.

Greets,
        Jacek