ipython and python 2.x

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Tue Jul 24 19:58:52 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:47:01AM +0100, Artur Wroblewski wrote:
>> I am planning to upgrade IPython to version 0.13, but for Python 3.x only.
>>
>> Python 2.7 is the last 2.x release (released over 2 years ago), so
>> IMHO it is pointless to maintain two versions at the moment.
>
> There is still many software written in Python 2.7, there is still a lot
> of development made using Python 2.7, as some libraries are still only
> python2 and costs of porting some projects to python3 is too big to be
> worth it. And IPython is a python development tool.
>
> As long as we provide Python 2.7 package we should also provide ipython
> for it. It may be the last IPython version available upstream for
> Python2, but it should not be dropped all together just because Python
> 3.x is the current one.

1. Last change in the spec was in October 2011 (for version 0.11).
2. Between 0.11 and 0.13 releases there were two IPython
   versions - 0.12 and 0.12.1.

IMHO, no one is interested in IPython for Python 2.x in our distro
at the moment, so maintaining IPython for Python 2.x and 3.x is
waste of time.

If you still disagree I can put it into separate spec (ipython3.spec).

Regards,