Segfaults on across the board in TH

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Tue Mar 27 10:05:24 CEST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Caleb Maclennan" <caleb at alerque.com>
Date: Mar 26, 2012 1:51 PM
Subject: Segfaults on across the board in TH
To: "PLD Devel" <pld-devel-en at lists.pld-linux.org>

Recently I've upgraded several desktop oriented machines against the
latest TH repositories. The two I'm looking at right now both use the
proprietary nvidia drivers from the PLD packages and pulseaudio.

Anything that uses pulseaudio or accelerated graphics seems to be
segfaulting. Simple examples are mplayer and glxgears. Both segfault
instantly. Output of dmesg is as follows:

[776933.882860] mplayer[29278]: segfault at ffffffffff700120 ip
00007f1c42a440fb sp 00007fff77474d90 error 4 in
libGL.so.285.05.09[7f1c429a8000+c2000]
[776944.697186] glxgears[29282]: segfault at ffffffffff700120 ip
00007f5b04cd60fb sp 00007fff00b7edc0 error 4 in
libGL.so.285.05.09[7f5b04c3a000+c2000]

Interestingly, running most things under strace will make the segfault
go away. `strace 2> /dev/null glxgears` runs like a charm.

Which direction do I need to go to work around whatever bug (timing?)
is being triggered here? Do I need use nvidia drivers directly from
the binary install packages rather than PLD's compiled ones? Do I need
a different kernel or older glibc for now? I can't make out which
piece is even broken so I don't know if this is a glibc bug or an
nvidia nightmare or a PLD compile issue.

Caleb