rpm-4.5-69.i686 crash on Qt upgrade

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Oct 2 15:11:00 CEST 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 1:39 AM, Jan Rękorajski <baggins at pld-linux.org> wrote:

>>> Both rpm 4.5 and now rpm 5.4 use MD5 as file digest algo.
>>>
>>> And ripping out filemd5 index is quite pointless, as the problem is the
>>
>> Agreed: pointless hack-o-round removing the Filedigest index …
>>
>>> inability to install package build with rpm5 on a system with rpm 4.5,
>>
>> … but "legacy compatibility" doesn't come for free, and rpm-4.5
>> has no upgrade path (all explained carefully at length to arekm & glen
>> years ago when the decision to use rpm-4.5 instead of rpm-5.x was made)
>>
>>> so the real fix is "upgrade to rpm5". But it would be good to know what
>>> is the cause of that bug to not break things before upgrade.
>>>

>> I can certainly generate the patch to rpm-4.5:  convince me why I should waste any
>> time on retrofitting "stuff" into an obsolete version of rpm-4.5 and I will do so.
>
> No, no, no. I don't want to touch rpm-4.5 code at all. I'd like to know
> what is rpm5 doing that kills rpm-4.5.

Then examine all the data that is in the rpm header, looking for
a file digest that has an odd (as in 1, 3, 5, …) no. of hex digits
in the string.

If the assert failure is happening only sometimes, then the
root cause, not just the assert failure symptom, needs to
be identified.

WYSIWYG
	rpm -qp --yaml foo*.rpm

> Or, how to put into every build package a simple dep "Conflicts: rpm < 5" as it
> will simply force rpm upgrade.

Ick: totally the wrong approach.

>> These are ancient -- and quite predictable -- compatibility issues associated
>> with a change from MD5 to other Newer! Better! Bestest! digest algorithms.
>
> But the default is still MD5.

Then there SHOULD be a hex string with an odd (as in 1,3,5, …) no. of hex digits.

And the root cause is likely something else.

>> Hint: I again suggest you try removing adding entries to the Filedigests index
>> to avoid having to solve "legacy compatible" issues that really do not matter.
>
> I can do that, but it will not solve the issue reported here. It will be a
> bandaid after the fact.

What solution is possible if no code can be changed? Dropping the
Filedigests index is a C-O-N-F-I-G-U-R-A-T-I-O-N change btw.

> BTW what's going on with rpm5.org? I can't connect to it from anywhere.

Yep @rpm5.org http is busted atm, maybe forever.

73 de Jeff