rpm5 package verification and md5sum of config files

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Mon Oct 15 01:22:34 CEST 2012

On Oct 14, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Adam Osuchowski <adwol at zonk.pl> wrote:

> Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> The comparison is against the file on disk (and includes check of mtime)
>> 	md5sum /etc/wgetrc
>> (or whatever digest you are using: the '5' is mostly hysterical these days)
>
> Ok, I know that comparison is against the file on disk but that's what
> it's all about. Why rpm -V shows differences in files md5 sums (no matter
> how hysterical md5 is, it is better than nothing) since these md5 sums in
> rpm database are exactly the same as md5 sums of files on disk? Even if I
> specify --nomd5 option, rpm tells that all files has changed md5 sums:

FYI: the --nomd5 option changed to --nofdigests like 4-5y ago.
If there is still "legacy compatibility" for --nomd5, then its time
to rip it out imho: I see no reason to maintain myriad
confusing alternative invocations for changes made years ago.

> root at pld:~# rpm -V --nomd5 wget
> ..5.....  c /etc/wgetrc
> ..5.....  d /usr/share/doc/wget-1.14/NEWS.gz
> ..5.....    /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo
> ..5.....    /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo
> ..5.....    /usr/bin/rmold
> ..5.....  d /usr/share/doc/wget-1.14/README.gz
> ..5.....    /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/wget.mo
> […]

What are you showing me? I can't tell what rpm version, and
I have no comparison to be able to tell what you consider
a "bug" from the above display. I have no idea what/how
rpm is patched in PLD, assuming that is the OS being used.

I also cannot tell what the output SHOULD look like
without knowing more details.

> From my point of view it is a bug. rpm4 behaviour is more logical in
> this situation.

You are entirely entitled to hold whatever point of view and
opinion you wish.

But if you are seriously interested in a change in RPM, then post
a bug (launchpad/rpm preferred) with sufficient information to analyze,
not just POV/opinion.

73 de Jeff