rpm5 package verification and md5sum of config files

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Oct 16 10:30:28 CEST 2012

On Oct 16, 2012, at 2:37 AM, Jan Rękorajski <baggins at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> The confusion here is because Adam found a second bug during duscussion
> here, so it happened to be two reports mixed, the one above
> and the '--nofdigests' option breakage - if you add this
> option then rpm5 reports _all_ files as having bad digest.

Good: an explanation.

Hmmmm … what to display with --nofdigests is rather arbitrary.

There *is* a --verify convention to display '?' when a value cannot be
computed (e.g. because permissions prevent digest computation)
that might be more sensibly displayed with --nofdigests than '5'.

OTOH, I'm not sure a "fix" is worth the effort, --nofdigests (and --verify
disablers in general) are rather obscure/undocumented RPM functionality.
What tends to happen is that ancient documentation starts to disagree
with "fixed" RPM behavior, and its much harder to change the documentation than rpm itself.

73 de Jeff