Large patches in git repositories

Kacper Kornet draenog at pld-linux.org
Wed Oct 17 03:36:40 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:21:03AM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On 09/10/12 04:52, Kacper Kornet wrote:
> >In my opinion a better idea is to keep in a package a script that
> >generates the compressed patch,pushes it to dropin and updates
> ># Patch-md5:
> go on with this, and block huge patches from now on. if possible
> point to this mail thread
> as there are no actual objections, just some other ideas
> and as since then nothing has changed, and such branch diffs are
> updated in our git still

Since now any commit that modifies patch large then 2000000 bytes
will be blocked. There are two exceptions to this rule:

1) The large patch can be removed
2) The large patch can be white listed by putting its name in file
   .bigfiles in package directory. But please use this feature only
   when it is really necessary.

> with addtional change, that move them to distfiles when you're done

Probably it would be best if it was done by developers updating
given patch. As they now whether it contains PLD specific changes
or not.

--
  Kacper