GRUB2 changes, introducing EFI

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sun Oct 28 20:46:45 CET 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 08:12:29PM +0100, Grzesiek wrote:
> I'm using grub2 but some old version from RCD because new packages from
> TH won't fit into my MBR.

Why do you want grub installed in MBR? I don't think any GRUB would fit into 446 bytes.

I guess you mean one of the options often used with legacy grub:
1. the space between MBR and the first partition
2. the unused space at the beginning of a ext[234] file system

Which one? And how much space do you have there?

I was playing with GUID Partition Table on both my laptop and the EFI
server and used a dedicated BIOS Boot Partition to hold grub in both
cases.

> I have compared grub2-2.00-3 and Ubuntu grub-2.0 and almost all modules
> in PLD are bigger:
>
> module,PLD,Ubuntu
> ext2.mod,7608bytes,5784bytes
> lvm.mod,6760bytes,6296bytes
> msdospart,2956bytes,2412bytes
>
> Anyone have idea why?

Probably just an  optimisation issue. And optimisation is the thing to
do last, when everything else is working. Unless your case is a very
common one.

Greets,
        Jacek