rpm4/rpm5 incompat: rpm5 firing on provides

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Oct 30 16:42:37 CET 2012

On Oct 30, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Elan Ruusamäe <glen at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> the "provides"-based trigger was not fired in rpm 4.5, therefore the problem did not exist in rpm4.5

Having 2 versions of rc-scripts is causing
cross triggering: remove one of those 2 packages
to better approximate "upgrade" (and run an "upgrade",
not an "erase", command

> what's our goal? find & fix packages that have triggers on names that are also provided? or patch rpm5 to keep legacy behaviour not to fire triggers on Providenames?

Packages won't trigger on themselves: having 2 versions
of rc-files is causing cross-triggering.

Meanwhile triggerpostun is usually _NOT_ the right
place to fix anything (no matter what PLD has been doing).

Its rather unusual to expect
a script to run after all package contents -- including
the trigger script -- have been removed.

73 de Jeff