rpm4/rpm5 incompat: rpm5 firing on provides

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Wed Oct 31 03:22:54 CET 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 14:34:55 -0400, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

>>> changing dir to symlink did not work properly until it got working
                            ^^^                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> %pretrans  (added in 4.4.2?)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> so, probably it was too advanced black magic back then :P
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
>> You just had to remove symlink before directory was about to be created:
            ^^^^^^
[link poining to year 2002 cut - PLD had rpm 4.0 _10 ya_]

> Um ? no. Please refrain from posting guesses:
> the end-result is that noon believes me when
> I describe what needs doing.
>
> Hint: You _MUST_ replace the directory with a symlink
> before fingerprints are computed ==> %pretrans
>
> Any other answer is crack (or merely gud enuf)

Quoting myself: "- ugly hack to rpm upgrade [...]"

Sure, doing manually anything that could be easily detected and handled by PM sux.
Any content that got _replaced_ should not fail upgrades w/o any %pre(trans)ing in
robust sw, otherwise we're dealing with clunky workarounds.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>