Th development plans

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Tue Sep 4 12:20:56 CEST 2012

Hi,
After making a snapshot, and having (development wise) stable package set,
I want to start refreshing the distribution. This means big changes in the
near future to get PLD back to being modern (or at least up-to-date) wrt
current Linux world.

Below I present a plan (a.k.a The Roadmap) for Th:

- db 5.3 as default system BerkeleyDB
- rpm 5.4.x
- perl 5.16.x
- apache 2.4.x
- full systemd support (provide systemd units, but still support SysV
        scripts - at least until vserver will be able to run systemd)
- drop *-initrd packages, building them is becoming a RPITA, and the net gain
        is not worth the pain
- grsecurity support in our kernels will be dropped, until someone
	volunteers to keep that patch up-to-date
- kernel 3.4.x will become the new -longterm

Of course, the always-in-development model stays, other non-conflicting changes
are welcome, and if you have any comments and proposals please say so.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/