Remove 'icedtea' package

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Fri Sep 7 15:08:53 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 12:50:54PM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> from cvs i look they have different history:
>
> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/cvs/packages/icedtea/icedtea.spec?view=log
> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/cvs/packages/icedtea6/icedtea6.spec?view=log
>
> imho when icedtea6 was created it should had been a package name from
> icedtea

IIRC IcedTea and icedtea.spec was Java-7-alpha based at the time
icedtea6.spec was created time and it was never made a usable JDK
replacement for PLD.

IcedTea6 project was made upstream  with a stable Java 6 (the 'official
current Java version' then) implementation and confusingly similar
version numbering. Not to downgrade icedtea.spec and not to cause
problems when time comes to package Java 7, I have put IcedTea6 to
icedtea6.spec.

Now the versioning upstream has been changed. Projects are still named
'IcedTea6' and 'IcedTea7', but version numbering is different: 1.x for
IcedTea6 and 2.x for IcedTea7.

Now, Java 7 is the current Java language release, so it makes sense to
package IcedTea7, but I using 'icedtea' package name for that would
suggest a downgrade. And basing on the old icedtea.spec probably won't
work as well as forking icedtea6.spec to make the icedtea7.spec, which
I plan to do soon.

Greets,
        Jacek