[packages/rpm] - set binary payload to xzdio (same as lzdio, but uses current xz) - add settings provided by patche

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Wed Sep 12 18:49:51 CEST 2012

On Sep 12, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Jan Rękorajski wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 01:51:26PM +0200, baggins wrote:
>>> commit c73c505644fa30c3e32a596dbc4aea90cfac0bcc
>>> Author: Jan Rękorajski <baggins at pld-linux.org>
>>> Date:   Wed Sep 12 13:24:58 2012 +0200
>>>
>>>    - set binary payload to xzdio (same as lzdio, but uses current xz)
>>
>>> %_source_payload	w9.gzdio
>>> -%_binary_payload	w9.lzdio
>>> +%_binary_payload	w9.xzdio
>>
>> What is the minimal rpm version that supports xzdio (and what was that
>> supports lzdio)?
>
> None of our rpm4 supports xzdio, but rpm package by itself is build with
> gzdio payload.

The back port isn't impossibly hard. but you want to start with ~rpm-5.1.4 iirc.

>> If not the same, there must exist some easy upgrade path.
>
> rpm-*.rpm packages are built with gzdio payload so it should
> be possible to upgrade without problems using any rpm version.

Shipping *.src.rpm with anything except ZLIB compression is asking for incompatibilities.

Using rpm2cpio (or rpm2cpio.sh) to unpack a *.src.rpm and rebuilding
with compression du jour is the proper "upgrade" path.

Meanwhile LZMA -> XZ transition got smeared out for years and isn't an RPM issue per se.

73 de Jeff