rpm and pkg-config

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Sat Apr 6 15:03:34 CEST 2013

On Apr 6, 2013, at 8:51 AM, Lukasz Glebicki wrote:

> I have noticed some unexpected behavior of rpm or requires written in RPM is
> wrong.
>
> There is a problem during install of gsnmp-devel
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        pkgconfig(gnet-2.0) is needed by gsnmp-devel-0.3.0-0.1.x86_64
>

> When I check this library, everything is ok:
> pkg-config --modversion gnet-2.0
> 2.0.7

This isn't the right check for package dependencies. Try
	rpm -q --whatprovides 'pkgconfig(gnet-2.0)'

> What is wrong ?

You have a missing provides.

This should satisfy the dependency (but the right fix is to find/install a pkg with
the desired provides)

	mkdir -p /etc/rpm/sysinfo
	echo 'pkgconfig(gnet-2.0)' >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providename

73 de Jeff