C.UTF-8 locale

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Dec 18 16:18:57 CET 2013

Hi,

Current upstream GIT code expects C.UTF-8 locale being available for
properly processing i18n files. I also find this locale usefull – one
may want to tell system to use UTF-8 instead of ASCII, but do no other
localisation.

However, we don't have such locale in our glibc-localedb-all, nor is it
generated by localedbgen (at least, not by default). For GRUB I made
a workaround by BR: glibc-localedb-all and using 'en_US.utf-8' instead
of 'C.utf-8', but I think it might be a good idea to ship 'C.utf-8' in
PLD by default.

What do you think?

And should it be an additional locale like all languages (provided by
glibc-localedb-all or generated with localedbgen) or should it be
provided directly by glibc (or anything else)?

Greets,
	Jacek