rpm set-versions (was: [packages/chromium-browser] requires _XGetRequest)

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Nov 12 09:21:07 CET 2013

That's why I wrote so.  Unfortunately Alexey is unstable. :-(

> I personally think that the ALT set:versions should be used by
> distros based on RPM.  OTOH, the addition of a new dependency
> type (and resolution) like set:versions takes some careful
> planning by distrosx.

Yup but the transition was actually gradual and smooth enough.
It guards upgrades against unannounced ABI changes as well
(usually when upstream forgets or is negligent enough to skip
bumping soname).

> > *Maybe* parts of implementation/tools or concept will help you.
> Please supply the pointer to the original paper (in Cyrillic,
> I've managed to read the details with GOOG translate, perhaps
> others can read the Russian).

I'll cite one of the previous messages for convenience:

---
http://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/conference/peers/pereslavl/2010/trubezh2010.pdf

I can volunteer to translate (pp. 63--66) but maybe
the implementation would make a better translation:

http://git.altlinux.org/people/at/packages/?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=lib/set.c;hb=HEAD
http://git.altlinux.org/people/at/packages/?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=tools/mkset.c;hb=HEAD
http://git.altlinux.org/people/at/packages/?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=tools/setcmp.c;hb=HEAD
---

PS 2 PLD team: if you feel that it's not my business don't
hesitate to just tell me so :-)  my interest is sharing
grassroots development that might prove useful to you too.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info