Kernel 3.10.x will be new longterm in Th

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Fri Nov 15 21:08:45 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 05:52:19PM +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:03:14 +0100
> Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org> wrote:

As for wistron-btns - 3.4 behaves the same, but at least the reason is
known: "kernel tried to execute NX-protected page".

Is it global protection for some data areas, or can be disabled for
particular addresses by some function call, missing in wistron-btns module?
(I think there should be a way to call some PC BIOS code from kernel)

> > There is also some issue with blank X display (intel hardware); I'm
> > not sure if it's related to kernel driver, new X.org server/driver or
> > new gdm.
>
> It may be the GDM problem I wrote some time ago.
>
> Do you have GNOME/Metacity themes installed?

There are metacity-theme-Simple and gnome-themes-standard and old
gnome-theme package (2.34).
GDM shows only blinking cursor (both on 2.6.38.8 and longterm-3.4.x;
IIRC 3.10.x was even worse).

> And with systemd GDM must be started from a systemd unit ??? testing
> 'manually' from root session won't work.

No systemd running.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/