GDM won't work under systemd

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Oct 23 19:40:27 CEST 2013

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:50:06 +0200
Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net> wrote:
> I am trying to install a usable PLD Linux on a laptop. Currently I am
> stuck at GDM which won't start correctly.
>
> The X server is started, but nothing is displayed, but the syslog is
> flooded with "'/run/user/0/dconf': Permission denied.".

Ok… I have learned a bit by now.

The "'/run/user/0/dconf': Permission denied." is a different problem not
related to my initial problem of GDM not showing.

The initial problem was not Metacity theme installed. As soon as I have
installed one the GDM starts properly from systemd.

The "'/run/user/0/dconf': Permission denied." and related errors are
showing only when I stard GDM manually from the root shell. This is
a design 'feature' of pam_systemd – it always uses the uid of the user
who initially logged in. So GDM won't start properly from a user login
session. Even if that user is root.

Greets,
	Jacek