[packages/gnome-shell] R: metacity-theme-base

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Fri Oct 25 08:40:16 CEST 2013

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:31:42 +0200
Lukasz Kies <kiesiu at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> 2013/10/24 jajcus <jajcus at pld-linux.org>:
> > commit 82ca6ec58bb122b2c2258e0943f6d061a495ef15
> > Author: Jacek Konieczny <j.konieczny at eggsoft.pl>
> > Date:   Thu Oct 24 10:37:33 2013 +0200
> >
> >     R: metacity-theme-base
> >
> >     Without such (or a compatible) theme gnome-shell won't work. In case
> >     of a fresh PLD install with just GDM the symptom is no graphical output
> >     when GDM starts.
> Hi,
>
> I don't believe this is the correct way

That what I was worried about - that is why I have asked on the list
first…

> GDM cannot start because gnome-session cannot find a "usual theme"
> from /usr/share/themes:
>
> Oct 24 22:58:38 cassie gnome-session[4799]: Window manager warning:
> Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme
> Adwaita
> Oct 24 22:58:38 cassie gnome-session[4799]: Window manager warning:
> Failed to load theme "Simple": Failed to find a valid file for theme
> Simple
[...]

> Both Adwaita and HighContrast theme is provided by
> gnome-themes-standard package. However Simple is a metacity theme.

I have stopped at 'Simple' that is why I took metacity. I don't know the
GDB mysteries well enough to understand all this.

I am not sure if I had gnome-themes-standard package installed or no.

> As we require for GDM a virtual gdm-wm (at the moment only gnome-shell
> and metacity) and metacity already requires metacity-theme-base
> (Simple theme) in my opinion there should be requirement of
> gnome-themes-standard in gnome-shell (or maybe os some lover level
> like gnome-desktop?).

> Any opinions?

Sounds good enough for me, if it works.

BTW. I have dropped GDM in favour of lxdm. Now the systems boots much
faster and I have much less weird error logs in syslog. It looks worse,
but is configurable (it is hard to say that about GDM3). Frankly, GDM3
seems like a big piece of crap…

Greets,
	Jacek