[packages/grep] - move from GREP_OPTIONS environmental variable to alias due to its obsolescence

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Dec 10 13:50:37 CET 2014

On 10/12/14 12:46, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

> Maybe something like that would be better?
>
> # cat /etc/shrc.d/grep.sh
> if [ -r /etc/env.d/GREP_OPTIONS ]; then
>         unset GREP_OPTIONS
>         . /etc/env.d/GREP_OPTIONS
>         if [ -n "$GREP_OPTIONS" ]; then
>                 alias grep="/bin/grep $GREP_OPTIONS"
>                 unset GREP_OPTIONS
>         fi
> fi

Why?

If anybody needs custom options to any shell command he can prepare an
alias that suits him and his shell most.

Implementing any such non-standard behaviour in the distribution is a
very bad idea. Not only we make the shell load ages to initialize
features most users don't even know about, but we may find great
fuck-ups years later, like this one:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2014/Nov/74

Jacek