The future of i486 arch in Th

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Dec 30 20:02:36 CET 2014

+1 to abandoning i486 in current state (keeping last packages on FTP).

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 21:48:03 +0100, Jan Rękorajski wrote:

>> Specifically:
>> 	Can RPM assume sse2 instructions and optimize digests/crypto to use sse2?
>
> No 32bit AMD CPU has this. So, no, you can't do it unconditionally.

Do you think there is anyone using these CPUs under PLD now? I've got
such systems, but haven't powered them up since years... I guess current
i686 users (like me) have other reasons to keep 32-bit system than 32-bit CPU
(like binary/legacy software).

> We're not going to require SSE2 for i686 arch.

So how about replacing i486 with i786?

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>