[ANN] New Kernel packages set

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Thu Feb 6 09:36:39 CET 2014

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On 05/02/14 19:05, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Because of some seemingly unfixable problems reported for 3.10, I
> >> decided to stay with 3.4.x line as longterm kernel for Th.
> >>
> >> But more important changes will apply to main kernel package, we are
> >> currently 3 releases behind because of slow updates of the Linux-Vserver
> >> patch. So there will be an additional package set - kernel-vserver which
> >> will be the latest mainline kernel supported by vserver community
> >> (currently it's 3.10.x). This means that main kernel packages WILL NOT
> >> HAVE VSERVER SUPPORT!
> >>
> >> To sum it up:
> >> - kernel-longterm - 3.4.x as long as maintained upstream
> >> - kernel-vserver - latest upstream supported by Linux-Vserver
> >> - kernel - mainline, without Vserver
> > A recent update of the Linux-Vserver patch, let us postpone the 3
> > kernels scenario. Thanks to vserver developers nothing will change wrt
> > out kernel packaging. 3.4 stays as longterm and mainline will have
> > vserver patch appliad.
> >

> so what you suggests to users who have switched to 3.10 knowing it will
> be next longterm? i.e preferring the longterm rather bleeding edge kernel.

Really? You reported seemingly unfixable problem with 3.10 (100% CPU)
without any solution and then switched to THAT kernel?
You are pulling my leg here.

> should go back to 3.4? use manual 3.10 builds, or try the HEAD?

What works best for them, 3.4 or HEAD.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/