[ANN] Java in Th

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Tue Jan 21 20:51:47 CET 2014

Hi,
I'm going to move java-sun and oracle-java packages from th-main to
obsolete. There will be one last update to oracle-java, to avoid
keeping package with lots of known security holes, but other than that I
don't see any future for those.

The rationale for the java-sun (JDK 6) removal is this quote from Oracle
web page:

> WARNING: These older versions of the JRE and JDK are provided to help
> developers debug issues in older systems. They are not updated with the
> latest security patches and are not recommended for use in production.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html

As for the oracle-java (JDK 7), the security is also a concern, but more
importantly it looks like we don't fulfill the licence:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license/index.html

> (i) [...] and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs
> (ii) the Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software
> (iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any component(s) of the Software

especially the (iii) ;)

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/