samba-libs/libsmbclient dependency loop

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Fri Jan 24 18:52:24 CET 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

> libsmbclient Requires: samba-libs (because of libsmbclient.so.0 dependencies)
> and:
>
> rpm -qpR ../RPMS/samba-libs-4.1.4-3.i686.rpm|grep libwb
> libwbclient.so.0
> libwbclient.so.0(WBCLIENT_0.9)
>
> At least these libraries from samba-libs require libwbclient.so.0:
> libauth.so
> libauth4.so
> liblibsmb.so
> libpdb.so.0
> libsmbd_base.so
>
> How to resolve it?

Do we have to? This package is a RPITA, all the interdependencies are
really hard to resolve.

> 1) merge libsmbclient into samba-libs (overkill? current libsmbclient is 190kB,
>    while samba-libs 18MB)
> 2) move libraries required by libsmbclient to libsmbclient package?
>    (I didn't check their size)

10MB on x66-64, i.e. half of samba-libs.

> 3) any better ideas?

Let's just leave it as it is, maybe somewhere in future it clears itself.
The current split is more informational than dep-functional, and done
to keep compatibility with samba 3.x package set. if we really
tried to remove all loops there we'd end up merging -libs, -common,
python- and libsmbclient (at least) into one gigantic mess.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/