qt5-qtbase libraries packaging

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Mon Jan 27 19:00:49 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 12:22:45PM +0000, Witold Filipczyk wrote:
> Jakub Bogusz <qboosh <at> pld-linux.org> writes:
>

> > How to split it?
> > One big package is too big e.g. for non-GUI apps.
> >
> > RH/Fedora uses base and -gui.
> > Rosa (Mandriva?) uses libqt5core etc.
> >
> > In qt4 we used QtModule convention - should we follow it, using Qt5Module
> > packages?
> >
> > Alternatives are:
> > libQt5Module
> > qt5-Qt5Module
> > qt5-libQt5Module
> >
> > I think that Qt5Module convention is the most simple and consistent with
> > our qt4 packages.
>
> The question is:
> to split or not to split?
> 35MB is big or not?

After separation of qmake (4 MB) and other devel tools (5 MB) it's (for x86):
21MB for base runtime
19MB for devel

Qt5Core is ~4MB, Qt5Network ~1MB, Qt5DBus ~0.5MB, Qt5Sql 0.2MB
(+modules, not required for development), Qt5Test 0.1MB, Qt5Xml 0.2MB
- total ~30% of base package.
The rest is GUI (having also more dependencies), so I'd split.

> If split, then every single library in separate package.
> It will be easier to package this way. But what with plugins?
>
> If split, then split other qt5-libraries.
> IMO: Naming convention: specs like in Fedora qt5-qtbase.spec, qt5-
> qtxmlpatterns.spec, etc.
> Package names like: Qt5Xml , Qt5Xml-devel, qt5-qtbase-doc, qt5-qtbase-
> examples. Libraries like in qt4, docs and examples take names from specs.

Agreed.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/