New systemd

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Wed Jul 2 21:06:15 CEST 2014

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On 02/07/14 14:03, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jul 2014, Mariusz Mazur wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any reasons not to upgrade to 214?
> >
> > Read the changelog.
>
> I have just read all the release announcement since 208. A lot of useful
> changes have been introduced.

I saw them too, but...

> > It needs to be carefully cut down and unbloated.
>
> What do you mean by 'cut down'? And what do you consider the 'bloat'.
> Most the things introduced since 208 may be really useful, and the rest
> won't break anything.

... that's unfortunately not true :( Right now the obstacle is networkd
and I do consider this daemon a bloat, maybe it improved over time but
when it came out it was primitive bordering on pathetic _and_ it would just
kill your network if you had anything more than simple dhcp address.
Especially with the advanced configs we have in PLD, networkd must be
disabled by default.

> Many of the changes make a lot of hacks, needed now, unnecessary.

Agree here, we could probably safely remove LVM/MD/DM detection helpers.

> > Systemd upgrade is not someting we can "just bump and rebuild",
>
> Yes.
>
> > and I don't have the time for it (job change, moving house, etc.)
>
> Maybe someone else can take care of that. It could be me, but not now.

Anyone can do it, but has to be very, very carefull when doing so.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/