php and LFS

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Wed May 21 22:52:31 CEST 2014

On 19.05.2014 11:32, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>
>> On 15.05.2014 20:49, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>>> i'll enabling -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 now, as it fixed stat() calls
>>> failures, and pear list works now
>> and it's safe to do so unconditionally (including 64bit arches)?
> AFAIR on 64bit archs it's a no-op, so it's safe.
> BTW I got a bit confused, -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 alone does not affect
> performance?

so...
- appears it's not safe change
- it's not NOOP on x64_64

bulding with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 [1] made pear fail on all three
arches (x86_64, i686, i486)

did not get any clear indication why it failed, just exited with 255
error, nothing useful when stracing.
to debug, run "builder -bp php-pear-Archive_Tar" (or any other pear
package that uses pear to unpack)

i've built two versions of php on same machine, with [2] and without [3]
the define. both directories contain poldek indexes and build.log

[1]
http://git.pld-linux.org/?p=packages/php.git;a=commitdiff;h=a0106ed918ffc6ff961caa33a8e27003bcfc3133
[2] http://carme.pld-linux.org/~glen/th/x86_64/_FILE_OFFSET_BITS/on/
[3] http://carme.pld-linux.org/~glen/th/x86_64/_FILE_OFFSET_BITS/off/

you need php53-{program,xml,pcre,zlib} packages for pear to work

perhaps the problem is that it the flag not be used alone? perhaps zlib
or libxml should be built with same cflags? i don't know.

--
glen