python

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed Apr 22 19:38:27 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-22 17:41, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> http://git.pld-linux.org/?p=packages/python-setuptools.git;a=commitdiff;h=64c5aa5e97487c2879a621605724e4e64f85a933
>
> blah, i do not understand what should i use in new specs
> python-setuptools or python-distribute?

setuptools

> i thought setuptools is old and distribute is new?

That was true at some time. But that had changed again long time ago.

So its complicated. In short:

Python has provided 'distutils' in its standard library for long time,
but that was quite limited, so setuptools appeared. For some it was not
enough either, so it was forked and 'distribute' appeared. Soon,
'distribute' become the standard.

In the meantime another project 'distutils2' was announced, which was to
supersed both setuptools and distribute, but that didn't really happen.
Instead, 'distribute' was merged back to 'setuptools' and 'setuptools'
is what the world uses now.

Now 'distribute' is only a dummy package providing egg-info data for
other packages tha might require it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6344076/differences-between-distribute-distutils-setuptools-and-distutils2/14753678#14753678

> could you update template-specs/python.spec accordingly so that would be
> source of truth

Already done. I updated the template when I was updating the setuptools
and distribute packages.

Greets,
Jacek