CEPH

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Apr 30 16:08:55 CEST 2015

Hi,

Does anyone actually use the CEPH packages in PLD?

The spec file seems actively maintained, but the init script seems
unusable. Currently that is an over-complicated upstream startup script
not updated for PLD (except disabling it through the chkconfig header).
It doesn't work and it seems it cannot reliably work in PLD, for
multiple reasons.

I think that should be replaced with some sane and PLD-specific init
scripts and systemd units. But for this some decisions need to be made
(e.g. what user to run that as) which may break whatever configuration
anyone uses.

I would also like to update the 'ceph-deploy' package (currently not in
PLD) to support PLD and that will also require more changes that just
adding poldek support – currently it abuses '/sbin/service' to pass
arguments to the init script 'start' action. This won't work reliably
under systemd.

Jacek