i486 removal from Th

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Sun Feb 22 23:47:03 CET 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 11:45:16AM +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
> To be fair it should be said explicitly, that for Th this also
> means drop of support for i586 class CPUs and some "degraded"
> i686 chips lacking cmov instructions support (there were such
> VIA chips in mid 200x years, probably rare to find now).

I've got an (untested) patch by a colleague that should emulate
CMOV on i586, could dust off the archives if there's anyone
interested out there.  It might also have been included in
kernel-image-led-tc package.

Optimizing for i586 (nee Pentium) is very wrong for pretty much
any other x86 processor due to significant pipeline differences
AFAIH...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info