IcedTea8

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Jul 27 08:11:25 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-26 20:56, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> anyone working on IcedTea8?

None I know of, but it is time to package Java 8.

And probably it might be a better idea to build OpenJDK directly instead
of using IcedTea8. Current OpenJDK should be buildable on its own,
though probably without x32 support.

> seems that tomcat >= 7.0.53 fails to build with java6 or java7
> (see tomcat at dev-7.0.55 branch for WIP)

I guess there will be more and more such packages… But Java is so big
and builds so long… I really don't have time for that. :-(

And a reminder: the oracle-java7 and oracle-java8 packages we have in
PLD are not legally distributable – the old Sun license 'for
distributions' is gone and distributing Oracle Java with a Linux
distribution is not allowed by its current license.

So, the only way to go is to prepare IcedTea8 or OpenJDK package.

Jacek