IcedTea8

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Jul 27 12:33:47 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-27 12:29, Łukasz Maśko wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 27 lipca 2015 08:11:25 Jacek Konieczny pisze:
> [...]
>> And probably it might be a better idea to build OpenJDK directly instead
>> of using IcedTea8. Current OpenJDK should be buildable on its own,
>> though probably without x32 support.
>
> Just to make sure, if I get it right - does it mean, that if noone takes care
> of IcedTea8, we'll end up without Java8 for i686?

i686 is supported, x32 is not. x32 is something else (32 bit code for
x86-64 platform running 64-bit kernel).

OpenJDK is the upstream source code, mostly identical to the one from
which Oracle Java is built. IcedTea8 includes some goodies on top of
that including alternative virtual machine implementations which can run
on platforms not supported upstream. We used that for i486 and use it
for x32 now.

There is also a possibility that current OpenJDK can support those
platforms – I am not sure about that.

Jacek