Time to get rid of Upstart

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Mar 16 09:56:19 CET 2015

Hi,

Long time ago I have added Upstart support to PLD Linux rc-scripts and
various services. It was many hours of my time wasted and not that are
just useless scary hacks in the scripts. I will be happy to waste a bit
more of my time to get rid of this.

Upstart itself is not maintained any more in PLD, or even upstream. And
the hacks only complicate the rc-scripts even more than it is needed.

The plan is:
– remove all upstart-specific code from rc-scripts and add 'Conflicts:
upstart' there
– remove 'upstart_controlled', etc. from init scripts
– remove '-upstart' subpackages and add 'Obsoletes: %{name}-upstart',
'Conflicts: upstart' to the corresponding packages

Then the 'upstart' package should be dropped from Th too.

What do you think?

Greets,
Jacek