Time to get rid of Upstart

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Mar 16 14:29:06 CET 2015

On 2015-03-16 13:19, Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:56:19 +0100, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>
>> ??? remove '-upstart' subpackages and add 'Obsoletes: %{name}-upstart',
>> 'Conflicts: upstart' to the corresponding packages
>
> Wouldn't that be easier for newly cleaned-up upstart package to:
>
> Conflicts: <list of every pkg-upstart>
> Requires: SysV/systemd

If anybody still uses Upstart, then he probably has his own upstart jobs
defined. In such case automatic replacement is not a good idea.

What I propose will just get rid of upstart packages for most of PLD
users – those, who don't use it. For the few who might be using Poldek
will report conflicts, which should be manually resolved. This seems
safer and cleaner (no fake 'upstart' package or bogus 'obsoletes'
somewhere else) to me.

Greets,
	Jacek