RFC: default python installlation directories

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Fri Nov 27 12:06:51 CET 2015

On 2015-11-27 10:28, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On 25.11.2015 22:19, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
>> If there are no objections, I may try a mass-update of python-* specs
>> tomorrow.

more like in the weekend ;)

> afaik not all packages supported --build-base thing. i don't know why.

Most current Python packages can use setup.py same way. There might be
problem with outdated packages, but you can find such which wouldn't
even use 'setup.py' at all.

I think a very small minority of the packages would be broken by
replacing setup.py with py_build/py_install.

Most of our python specs that don't use '--build-base' are those which
were never updated for Python 3 support or which were written before the
'--build-base' trick was known to the spec author.

> you can find such packages with something like this:
>
> ➔ grep -r 'set --' ~/all-specs
> /home/users/glen/all-specs/python-httplib2.spec:set -- *

Are you sure this is not some alternative to the '--build-base'?

But thanks, I will look at those.

Jacek