RFC: default python installlation directories

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Nov 30 08:07:58 CET 2015

On 2015-11-29 23:30, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
>> The change broke icedove/iceweasel build, looks like some virtualenv
>> paths confusion:
>>
>> http://buildlogs.pld-linux.org//index.php?dist=th&arch=x86_64&ok=0&name=icedove&id=3c8b77d4-5fec-47a0-ae3d-dd2a575890c2&action=tail

Yes, I have seen that.

> Actually it broke virtualenv/pip:
>
> $ virtualenv xxx
> New python executable in xxx/bin/python2
> Not overwriting existing python script xxx/bin/python (you must use xxx/bin/python2)
[...]
> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/share/python2.7'

That is strange. Though, maybe virtualenv overrides sys.prefix and then
uses that for installation. In such case I would have to change the
python patch a bit. Does it work in Python 3 correctly? Things are a bit
different there.

I will investigate this further in the evening.

Jacek