systemd /tmp tmpfs

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Fri Sep 18 12:01:55 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 13:06:57 +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On 2015-09-17 12:54, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>>>
>> tmp.mount was not masked, masking of course helped. but i never masked
>> it before, so something changed that now i need to mask

Well, entire systemd architecture supports on-demand activation. One
can have some HTTP server started when "something" changes. The only
proper way of telling "I don't want this crap at all" is masking.

Please check (after unmasking temporarily):

systemctl list-unit-files --type=mount

and /lib/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants directory for tmp.mount
symlink - maybe something made it reappear there.

>> i would prefer if default is masked, and should unmask to enable /tmp
>> tmpfs.
>
> To make PLD different to anything else in yet another way?
>
> I would prefer sticking to the systemd ways. They usually have good
> reasons to do things one way or another.

Agreed. We should keep systemd differences as small as possible,
especially for things that are easily configurable in runtime (in
contrary to this crappy interface renaming to some ep40x%x44xWTF).
Actually I haven't had tmp.mount masked myself, but this takes just one
command to fix.

I didn't know rationale on this, so just found
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/tmp.html and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs

Similar discussion: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=718906

--