how rpm destroyed my private key

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Apr 28 19:38:49 CEST 2016

On Apr 28, 2016, at 4:41 AM, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> but rpm i use to manage configuration and expect %noreplace to mean "do not replace the file". that one technical detail makes it behave differently on high level does not change my expectation. i'd rather consider it flaw in implementation. and that it has been so in last two decades, doesn't mean it has to stay so. there are VENDOR_PLD conditions if that rpm5.org maintainers do not consider usable for everybody.

Yes, "noreplace" has an ambiguous meaning that is non-intuitive.

The intuitive meaning of "noreplace" is
	Never replace

Meanwhile -- as I have pointed out -- %config(noreplace) was designed to replace
unmodified existing config files with different content, and -- as you have pointed out --
will replace pre-existing files.

Both behaviors are intentional in %config handling when implemented and
cannot easily be changed without triggering a couple years of confusion.

Meanwhile, the whole %config renaming needs to be abandoned in favor
of an etckeeper approach to do checkins instead of renaming.

RPM has embedded libgit2 sufficiently well enough to do simple checkins.
A more complete solution awaits some distro willing to work through the remaining
details for an entire distribution.

73 de Jeff