Icedtea8 and x32

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Aug 11 14:35:17 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have updated the openjdk8.spec for more recent update… and the x32
binaries stopped working. I have no idea how to debug it or what could
go wrong, as I have very little experience with x32 and the JVM
implementation is not some simple code.

I have tried two different code versions, I have tried dropping
PLD-specific CFLAGS. The 'x32.patch' seems to match what Debian does (in
fact it even uses dpkg right now to detect x32 architecture, which
should probably be changed to something less exotic or included in the
dependencies).

The freshly built 'java' binary crashes on some NULL pointer
dereference, but I was not able to locate any obvious reason.

i686 and x86_64 builds work, but they use a bit different code
(architecture-specific JIT instead of the 'zero assembly' JVM).

Can anyone here look into that? Having old JDK is no good.

We could also switch to Icedtea again, as Icedtea for JDK8 is now
available, but that would require preparing the new package.

Jacek