Fwd: [openssl-announce] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 published

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Thu Aug 25 21:46:59 CEST 2016

On 25.08.2016 21:24, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
> On Thursday 25 of August 2016, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>> >what's our idea of openssl version in th?
>> >
>> ># 1.0.2 is LTS release
>> ># Version 1.0.2 will be supported until 2019-12-31.
>> >#https://www.openssl.org/about/releasestrat.html
>> >
>> >do we stay with 1.0.2 or proceed with any version like 1.1.0?
> 1.1.0 is AFAIK heavily incompatibile, so it's better to wait until others do
> porting job:-)
>
> Can it be installed in parallel with 1.0?
>
> Are symbols versioned so binary using other libraries linked to 1.0 and 1.1
> will work and symbols won't clash?

new soname, so yes
but our current packaging uses unversioned paths, so no without
packaging changes

-devel still has libssl.so, and i haven't seen any package using any
other library name than that. luckily there are pkgconfig files, but it
would still need patch every program that uses openssl to force
versioned pkg-config files

there's dev-1.1 branch on openssl package in pld repo updating to 1.1 branch

--
glen