Vulkan 3D drivers test request

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Thu Feb 25 13:12:31 CET 2016

Hi,

I have made the Vulkan packages and would like someone to test those on
a different system and hardware.

To play with Vulkan you need:

1. the Vulkan loader
2. a Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD)
3. a Vulkan application

1. the Vulkan loader

It is available in the 'vulkan-loader' package

2. a Vulkan ICD

Currently we have four different Vulkan drivers:

a. Mesa-vulkan-icd-intel

The 'official' Intel Vulkan driver, developed as a part of the Mesa
project, but not yet merged to the main line.

It is supposed to support everything from Ivybridge (HD Graphics 4000) up
to Sky Lake (Iris Pro Graphics 580), but anything below Broadwell is
'unfinished'.

I have tested this one, but little more than 'vulkaninfo' worked for me
on HD Graphics 4600

b. vulkan-sdk-icd-intel

Another driver for Intel GPUs Developed by LunarG, as part of their
Vulkan SDK.

It is supposed to handle Intel Haswell, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge
GPUs.

I have not tested it yet.

Both Intel drivers should work with regular intel xorg and kernel
drivers, but DRI3 must be enabled (support added to our
xorg-driver-video-intel only recently, available in th-test)

c. vulkan-sdk-icd-nulldrv

Dummy Vulkan driver. Does nothing, but can be queried with 'vulkaninfo'
and some Vulkan apps even won't crash with it.a

d. xorg-driver-video-nvidia on the Vulkan branch

Unfortunately this probably requires matching xorg (included) and kernel
driver.

3. Vulkan applications

a. 'vulkaninfo' from vulkan-sdk-tools

Like 'glxinfo' – queries the Vulkan drivers for available hardware and
features.

b. 'vulkan-cube' and 'vulkan-tri' from vulkan-sdk-demos

Simple demos

c. Various Vulkan examples on GitHub

https://github.com/krh/vkcube
https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vulkan
https://github.com/SaschaWillems/VulkanCapsViewer

d. serious games ;)

Seriously… there is one (using Serious Engine), which has Vulkan
support, on public beta branch:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/412447613565426479/

Good luck and have fun!

Jacek