[packages/cairo] disabled experimental gl backend, it just pulls too much dependencies

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Wed Jan 6 00:12:11 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 16:48:41 +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:

>>     disabled experimental gl backend, it just pulls too much dependencies
>
> weston clients require cairo-gl:

Anyone/anything uses that? According to
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/7.6-systemd/general/weston.html
these (?) are some demos only. Moreover:

--with-cairo=gl: This switch is used to tell configure to use Cairo's
OpenGL surface backend instead of the default Image surface backend

weston/configure.ac says

Build Clients ${enable_clients}
Build EGL Clients ${have_cairo_egl}

Also found this:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-August/010563.html

Anyway - *if* anyone cares, just provide alternate cairo version with gl
enabled as cairo is too important to be bloated with such huge
experimental thing.

One more note from weston/configure.ac

AC_MSG_WARN([The --with-cairo=gl option can cause increased resource
usag e and potential instability, and thus is not recommended. It is
needed only for a few special demo programs.])

AC_MSG_WARN([The --with-cairo=gles2 option can cause increased resource
u sage and potential instability, and thus is not recommended. It is
needed only for a few special demo programs.])

weston configure once again:

  --with-cairo=[image|gl|glesv2]
                           Which Cairo renderer to use for the clients

weston README:

For packagers

Always build Weston with --with-cairo=image.

We need to stop blindly enabling anything that can be enabled, just
because it can, and linking against system-wide library just because we
can. Sorry, but I don't find this problem valid in cairo package context.
If anything is to be fixed, it's our weston, or more rationale/sources
need to be given. However, since upstream says "don't use", we shouldn't.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>