[packages/cairo] disabled experimental gl backend, it just pulls too much dependencies

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Wed Jan 6 10:58:19 CET 2016

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/cairo_perf.pdf

Cairo-gl is not enabled for some distros (e.g. Ubuntu):
- --enable-gl links cairo to libgl
- NVIDIA's libgl gets linked to every client app
- Enormous RAM increase per app running (300%)
- See Launchpad #725434

This particular bug has been solved, however all the remaining warnings
are up to date. I did all my best to research on the subject, and all I
can suggest is to have alternate cairo rpms on FTP (question I ask
again, how to do it efficiently using our infrastructure?) If anyone has
better insight please step in, but until this is proven to be
optimized or detached to be runtime loaded I see no option for us to not
provide gl-less cairo by default.

https://launchpad.net/cairo-gl-test
There are some drawing operations which hit slow paths, e.g. trying to
draw any italic/oblique text kills the framerate, if you render your
text with pango_cairo_show_layout(). Don't do that, but instead use
pango_cairo_layout_path()/cairo_fill().

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>