[packages/ipmitool] do not suggest some crafted script when there are contemporary and generic module loaders

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Fri Jul 29 14:21:38 CEST 2016

On 2016-07-29 13:10, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On 28.07.2016 23:39, Tomasz Pala wrote:
>> who knows what device would become available at /dev/ipmi0 at next
>> reboot... (unless cleaned in rc.sysinit). This package should be banned,

+1

>> I'm considering C: ipmi-init somewhere, but I'm not sure where to put
>> it...
> you could as well fix the script to always replace /dev/ipmi0 if /dev is
> static

There is no point in keeping every legacy stuff just because we had it
in PLD at some time. Some pieces of software were just mistakes, that is
it. Maintaining broken stuff 'for compatibility' is pointless, it still
requires work bringing, but only brings problems.

If some system relies on old, broken behavior, then the system needs an
update. Much bigger distibutions won't support indefinite backward
compatibility. We cannot afford that even more.

It is the same case for 'Require: mingetty' in rc-scripts.

Jacek