rpm -Uhv --oldpackage loses configs

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Tue Jun 7 05:04:33 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 17:00:23 -0400, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

>> downgrading from repackage lost config files,
>> i.e saved them as .rpmsave leaving original path missing
[...]
> What exactly are you expecting?

If previous (modified) configs were moved to .rpmsave, anyone should
expect package-provided files to be put in place.

> I see rpm renaming modified %config files to *.rpmsave exactly as always, nothing more.

But doesn't install files that were to replace them.

> FWIW: there is no ???downgrade in rpm, and flipping various bits in polled to disable version comparisons
> and file conflicts in order to achieve ???downgrade??? has almost nothing to do with %config handling.

I guess this is related to using repackaged.rpm. These types of packages
are known to have manifest different than real contents, so while installing
one might expect such behaviour.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>