rpm -Uhv --oldpackage loses configs

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Jun 7 19:42:23 CEST 2016

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Elan Ruusamäe <glen at delfi.ee> wrote:
>
> On 06.06.2016 22:00, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>> (pld has --downgrade alias to --oldpackage via popt)
>>
>> downgrading from repackage lost config files,
>> i.e saved them as .rpmsave leaving original path missing
>
> remote reproducer using docker:
> (commands that Dockerfile runs are displayed on that page, so not posting them here)
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/glen/rpm-repackage-bug/builds/b96cnokzxisbioj7egrc7d8/

I’m sure the problem is reproducible for you. Meanwhile, if rpm is to support
—downgrade with %config file handling, I need a far simpler reproducer
that does not involve docker and hundreds of packages.

> seems to reproduce this and looks like my original problem too, as qboosh pointed out,
> is that downgrade should match more than one pam package by same name.

There are lots of problems with naming and repackaging, including the very nasty
case when a single identical package is repeatedly installed and erased. There will
be multiple copies of that package in /var/spool/repackage.

(aside)
Note that there are —flink/—blink commands to display the upgrade chains
of both installed and erased (i.e. repackaged) packages. Each link in the chain
contains 3 items:
	NVRA
	MD5 of header+payload
	SHA1 of header
all of which gets even more confusing in the case I described: the transaction
id (which is a time stamp) in the /var/spool/directory sub-directory is then needed
to disambiguate multiple instances of otherwise identical repackaged packages.

> i will add -vv to commands and ls -l and post the build result in next post to this list.

Good.

Meanwhile abandoning %config renaming (and doing a git check-in with RPM+LIBGIT2),
is likely the best forward-looking solution.

There are also better solutions than /var/spool/repackage that can be attempted these
days.

73 de Jeff