rpm-5.4.16 snapshot, take 2

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Mon Mar 21 15:32:20 CET 2016

(aside)
I've added Reply-To: <rpm-devel at rpm5.org> which is likely the better forum,
and because I did not receive this msg for whatever reason:
    rpm-5.4.16 snapshot, take 2

> i wish it would be possible to disable building cruft that is not used.
> that is tests (as we do not run tests) and some weird and perhaps
> experimental tools like b2sum. pld intention is not to do some build
> coverage, but just get /bin/rpm compiled and packaged
Somehow I have to release one rpm-5.4.16 tarball, not one for every possible distro
purpose. The issue with missing va_start has nothing to do with "cruft", but rather
that librpmio is misbuilt on PLD somehow: ensuring that
	#include <stdarg.h>
happens will surely be the fix. Can you find which .o is not including <strdarg.h>?
Or make the actual failed build available so that I can diagnose?

> and the text fields still contain garbage:
As I tried to say below, PLD and rpm5.org are likely going to differ on removing the
	RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE         =  9
data type from rpm headers.
I explicitly verified that Summary/Group/Description could be displayed
using both rpm-4.13.0 (as in Fedora 23), and rpm-5.4.16, in both
	LANG=en_US.UTF-8
and
	LANG=fr_FR
with the underlying switch disabling the change in system.h:
	/**
	 * Eliminate RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE.
	 */
	#define SUPPORT_I18NSTRING_TYPE 1
(which is what PLD is likely going to use).
I will check the other value of SUPPORT_I18NSTRING_TYPE next.

hth

73 de Jeff