bird-1.5.0-1.x86_64 crasches quite often on reconfiguration including renaming BGP protocols due to bad set of CFLAGS passed on compilation

Bartek Radwan groups at sq9mev.info
Wed Mar 23 07:43:28 CET 2016

On 21.03.2016 14:22, Bartek Radwan wrote:
> bird-1.5.0-1.x86_64 crasches quite often on reconfiguration including
> renaming BGP protocols due to bad set of CFLAGS passed on compilation

There were two commits adedd last night:

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/commit/54bb032d21d25a2221877e15325e79add10278ec
[1]

The old linked list implementation used some wild typecasts and required
GCC option -fno-strict-aliasing to work properly. This patch fixes that.
However, we still keep the option due to other potential problems.

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/bird/commit/665b8e5283df4f64eb44d8fb434489be1474b5d4

To avoid byzantine behavior in case of some errors, linked lists are
cleared after rem_node() and resource headers are cleared after rfree().

I've cherry-picked them on v1.5.0, seems these patches resolve the
problem even without -fno-strict-aliasing passed.

Seems like adding -fno-strict-aliasing is still reasonable in PLD spec -
"we still keep the option due to other potential problems".

--
Regards
Bartek